leaf hop "problem"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trksh

Reaction score
Two days ago I brewed a double ipa that contained about 4 oz leaf hops from late additions (in addition to some pellets). It was my first time using leaf hops, so I did not think about straining the wort. It's been 48 hours and fermentation is pretty active and I have about 4in of leaf hops floating on top. 1.) Will they eventually all sink the same way pellet hop particles do? If they sink i'm worried that they'll soak up about 1gallon of beer. 2.) Would it be crazy to transfer the wort to another carboy (before the leaf hops sink) for the remainder of fermentation so that I dont lose much because of absorption by the leaf hops?

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

They will remain floating, and they are already saturated at this point, so I don't think transferring the wort to another carboy would help you save beer. If anything I'd imagine that having the thick layer on top might let some of them dry out.

They're not gonna soak up a gallon. If you're really worried about losses, squeeze them over a bowl and drink what you collect when it's time to bottle.

Back