Lazy Yeast Rancher - skipped a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redmond_Fil

Reaction score
I'm of the "Yeast are tough" school - but I have brief story where I'd like some insight.

I harvested WL002 yeast on November 8th from a 10 gal. batch after two weeks of work on a 1.080 IPA. Washed the yeast with room temp previously boiled water and stored at 34F. The result was about 8 oz. of thick yeast.

On Jan 3 I brewed 10 gallons of a 1.056 OG Ale (mash@155) and reused the harvested WL002.

Question 1. Mr. Malty says my viability was 10%. Really? How does White Labs keep their yeast viable in their packages? Expiration dates look like they are about 6 months from packaging.

At the start of the brew day I pulled the sealed container with the harvested yeast from the fridge and placed it on the counter after cracking the cap so it could start warming up to pitching temperature. After about 15 minutes I notice that I am developing a yeast volcano in my growler. All of the yeast has risen to the surface in a spongy mess and is trying to escape!

Question 2. What happened? I'm guessing my washing was insufficient and the yeast continued to chew on some goodies I left behind.

To save the brew day (or a trip to the LHBS) I pours everything into another sanitized container and covered with plastic wrap. When pitching time came I used about half the yeast slurry.

Fermentation proceeded as usual (first krausen in 6 hours) although not as vigorous (not the usual chunks going up an down). I reached my target FG of 1.015 in about 5 days and the young beer tastes fine.

Question 3. Where were the chunks? Was this the yeast or the mash profile? BTW: I've never brewed this mash profile.

Q1) I'm right with you. Mr. Malty way underestimates viability when I've compared it to actual viability counts. (see here: http://www.woodlandbrew.com/2012/11/counting-cells.html)

Q2) It sounds like you have a very active yeast, which is good! My guess would be that the yeast coming out of dormancy have started metabolizing their glycogen reserves, or are metabolizing the dead yeast.

Q3) I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about with the chunks, but perhaps the yeast are not flocculating the same way as the previous fermentation? How did the yeast do setteling out?

I wanted to wait till the jury was in. After dry hopping and kegging the beer I'd say I have a winner. The yeast settled out just fine. I harvested this batch as well. Clarity looks ok at this point in the conditioning phase. (I keg and condition at the same time as once the keg is in the fridge I don't move it again till it's empty). I have two theories on the flocculation. (1) The new mash profile left fewer proteins to precipitate out, (2) I selected less flocculent as a result of my yeast handling. Surprisingly, I over shot my FG by 6 points, expecting 1.019, I hit 1.013. (OG 1.056).

Back