layer of dark at the top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsman20

Reaction score
2 1/2 weeks ago I brewed my first batch using the america pale ale kit from brewers best. After sitting in the primary fermentation bucket for a week I transferred it to a secondary carboy. It has been there for 10 days. The temp has been about 75 degrees. The guy at the shop said let it sit int he carboy for 2 weeks. I looked at it this morning and there is a top layer of darker beer on it. There is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of sediment on the bottom. There seems to be some particals of what I am guessing is yeast floating around in it. Is this normal or has something gone terribly wrong? I was planning on bottling tomorrow.

Chances are nothing has gone terribly wrong. Most of what you're saying sounds perfectly normal. Just remember to take a gravity reading today/tomorrow before you bottle to make sure fermentation has reached completion.

Several choices: 1) continue to let it clear until the "top layer of darker beer" extends all the way to the bottom before bottling, 2) cold crash it to force it clear and then bottle, 3) use gelatin or finings to hasten the clearing process, 4) etc

Don't worry! Very normal - the darker beer at the top is what you want. As the yeast settles out, you should see the white layer at the bottom build up (dormant yeast). If you want to speed it up, stick it in the fridge for 5+ days (called cold crashing)

OK Thank you. I didn't think it was bad. I put in a freezer with a temp control for the second batch (different kit Witbier) to control the fermentation temps. I'll move this into it for a few days and see what happens. What a great hobby I have stumbled across.

Back