Layer of crap on top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

andysim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finished my first all grain yesterday. After I cooled the wort and transfered it to the primary fermenter, I noticed I had a lot grain particles in it.

After it sat for a day, I have about 1" layer of what I think is grain particles on top.

Is the beer OK? or toast?

It is fermenting at a pretty good rate this morning.

I did draw off 4 quarts of wort poured it back into the mash tun after each mash and sparge to try to reduce the particles in the wort.

What went wrong?:confused:

crazyboy

Reaction score
What are you using as a lauter tun? Grain shouldn't be able to pass through the holes or mesh. Also the first runnings of a sparge should be poured back into the lauter tun until the wort runs clear.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
A 1" layer is just way too much for it to be simply particles of grain, most of which would sink anyway, I think. Sounds like krausen to me too.

OP
andysim

andysim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A 1" layer is just way too much for it to be simply particles of grain, most of which would sink anyway, I think. Sounds like krausen to me too.

It is krausen.

I have always fermented in a ale pail and never realized how thick the top layer of krausen can be. This was the first time I used a glass carboy as a primary. :D