Laws regarding selling hard cider and apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjopicker

Reaction score
I'm sure this has come up before but I'm having a hard time finding answers. I'd like to know what hoops and hurdles need to be negotiated before I could legally sell apfelwein in Vermont. I've seen wine for sale at farmers markets but didn't ask any questions...

I'm sure this has come up before but I'm having a hard time finding answers. I'd like to know what hoops and hurdles need to be negotiated before I could legally sell apfelwein in Vermont. I've seen wine for sale at farmers markets but didn't ask any questions...

As far as I know to sell ANY alcohol you need a liquor license to make it (ATF wants their money). Anything you make at home can't be sold.

The laws also vary wildly from state to state, county to county, and city to city. Your best bet is to start making phone calls to local agencies.

Regardless of which state you live in, you cannot sell homemade "alcohol" without the proper licensing (each states procedures and requirements are different, however they all require licensing of some sort). Basically, both federal and local governments tax alcohol. They want their money. In order to collect tax on the alcohol you sell, you must be registered and licensed to do so.

I believe after the hurdles of licensing and tax id numbers are overcome, you will need to find an appropriate place to do your pressing, fermentation and bottling. A clean commercial kitchen which is inspected and licensed. Some wineries or breweries may be willing to rent you space to do your work in.

Back