Lautering w/o tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMc0724

Reaction score
I am trying to make an Oatmeal Stout, and cannot find an extract online. Does anyone know of one? Also, is it possible to do lautering and sparging without a tun. In other words, can I simple strain the wort from the grain, then add fresh hot water to the grain, and strain again?

I've never seen oatmeal extract, but perhaps others will know a good substitute.

As for your larger question, I think you might be a bit confused about the process. Either that, or I'm confused about what you mean. "Lauter" and "sparge" are basically synonyms. Most people don't use a separate tun for lautering but instead do it in the same vessel they mash in. You certainly need something to mash in. What you are describing sounds a bit like brew-in-a-bag, a kind of mashing that gets done in the boil kettle.

I think my question is very unclear, thanks for your patience:

@Malfet: yes, how about mash-lauter-sparge-in-a-bag? I'm seeing some Web links for brew-in-a-bag. In essence, I would like to purchase an extract kit, and add oatmeal to the wort. Since this requires mashing, I would like to do a partial mash of the oats with the other grains, and possibly some of the extract.

@itsme6582: without an underdrain, as in a tun. Literally pouring the entire mash out of a cook pot through a strainer. That is not my understanding of batch sparging?

@lou2row: by stuck fermentation, I assume you mean that the fermentation is deficient of food source for yeast, mainly nitrogen deficiency, correct? I guess brew-in-a-bag would be a better way to go?

For my last (and first) oatmeal stout I just added the oats (unmilled) to my steeping grains. I used 8 oz, and there is a nice chewyness to the beer. You might want to try something like:

6# light dme or 7 lbs light lme
.25# chocolate malt
.25# black patent
.5# rolled oats - might want to grind them too)

Conversely, if you do want to do BIAB and are using extract I would suggest using a small pot on your stove with the grains and then use a kitchen strainer to keep the spent grains out of your wort.

Check out deathbrewers Easy Partial Mash Brewing thread. I did a version of this in a small cooler I had and just had all my grains in a bag that I strained out after. It worked pretty good but I'm still waiting on the final product to be finished. My OG came up a bit low but to keep my boil volume down my water to grain ratio was pretty low which I'm assuming is where I lost some efficiency. All in all though it's not that difficult to do.

IMO, best option would be to do the partial mash. Oats need to be mashed to convert their starches. Seriously, not difficult than steeping specialty grains and you've got your oatmeal stout without going all-grain. You wouldn't add extract during the mashing step--add it after mashing and sparging. You wouldn't just add oatmeal to the wort either.

Sorry I don't have time to get into the process, but you're are on the right track with the bag idea. Deathbrewer's stovetop partial mashing tutorial (search) will give you a good idea of the process, though it can be done differently.

@Malfet: yes, how about mash-lauter-sparge-in-a-bag? I'm seeing some Web links for brew-in-a-bag. In essence, I would like to purchase an extract kit, and add oatmeal to the wort. Since this requires mashing, I would like to do a partial mash of the oats with the other grains, and possibly some of the extract.

Brew in a bag often skips sparging all together. Bring you full pre-boil water plus a bit more to strike temperatures, put the bag into the pot, and pour in your grain. After mashing, drain it back out.

You won't be able to mash oats by themselves, though. Standard brewer's oats don't have the diastatic capcity to convert properly.

Back