Lauter from mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owentp

Reaction score
I want to use 5/8" poly tubing for my false bottom/lautering from my mash tun. What size holes & how far apart to drill.

Also on the side, top, or bottom of tubing? Is a metal false bottom also needed or will the tubing drain ok w/grain on top of it.

I use cpvc. Alternately cut slots and drilled holes about 1/4 inch apart, so a slot then row of 3 holes. Used the smallest bit I had, 5/64ths. Mine are on bottom. I think they work best there as there's less dead space. John Palmer says bottom or top works.

Thx. Does it matter how much (in volume/weight) of grain bed is on top of it to work? Thinking of using a rubbermaid brute hdpe can to use 46 lbs of grain for 15.5 gal batch.

If you use a large single-walled (garbage) can, you need to add insulation to keep the temps from dropping too fast. Are you recirculating/heating the mash or just doing a single infusion?

Why not use a large cooler, like 150 qts?

How do you want to sparge? Fly sparging needs a well designed manifold and certain mash/lauter tun dimensions to work. Batch sparging is way simpler. Just stir, wait, and lauter. The manifold for a batch sparge is not very critical. Slots 1" apart in 1/2" (or 3/4") CPVC pipe will work fine. Do a search to get some ideas.

Latest posts

Back