Laurelwood Brew Pub "Boss IPA"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drbobcat

Reaction score
I am hoping for a little help in cloning a beer that is no longer on my brew pub's normal rotation. I have gotten no response from the brewer and the staff is unwilling to part with any details. I want to clone as best as possible their Boss IPA. The details I do know(from a really old menu) are that the OG is 15* Plato, FG is 2.5* Plato, ABV is 6.7%, they use multiple crystal malts(types??), they use a hop back (I will dry hop), and the hops are Yakima Fuggles, Goldings, Cascade, and Ahtanum for a total of 70 IBU's. The beer has been described as very citrusy with some piney resin flavors and tangerine to amber in color. I am assuming the base malt is basic 2 row, but I am not sure on how to achieve the color with the crystal malts. I am also REALLY unsure of a hop schedule since none of the hops listed are traditional bittering hops. I usually like to mash @150* for 60 minutes for my IPA's. I know I will have to experiment some, but any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2-Row is good.
Crystal 20 is plenty for color.
I won't give you a hop schedule but I will suggest the Ahtanum is at the end of your boil and also dry hop. Play around with two batches from the same pot with the hops.

Back