latitude 48 deconstructed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theschick

Reaction score
Didn't see this posted yet. From a local beer blog, I read this, which I find quite cool in idea:

The 12 pack has 2 bottles of regular old Latitude 48 then it has 2 bottles each of Latitude 48 single hopped with each of the varieties of hops that Latitude 48 contains; Hallertau Mittelfrueh, East Kent Goldings, Ahtanum, Simcoe and Zeus. These single hopped beers will really give you an indication what each variety tastes like and help you become one of those beer geeks that can taste a beer and then tell you what kind of hops were used.

(stolen from: http://kcbeerblog.blogspot.com/2011...&utm_campaign=Feed:+KcBeerBlog+(KC+Beer+Blog))

i'm not gonna lie, sam adams has impressed me in the last 2-3 months.

i had a boston lager at DFW airport a week ago, and I didn't even recognize it. solid beer. i haven't had it in a long time and i only ordered it cause it was the only thing on tap.

i'm not gonna lie, sam adams has impressed me in the last 2-3 months.

i had a boston lager at DFW airport a week ago, and I didn't even recognize it. solid beer. i haven't had it in a long time and i only ordered it cause it was the only thing on tap.

Boston lager is underrated IMO. It's very good when fresh. Having it at the brewery is the best.

I am looking forward to this, can't wait to try the different hop varieties

I'll be looking for it. I like the Latitude 48 - great bitterness and body. SA bucked the trend by not using the massive doses of finishing hops that is popular today. IMHO they ended up with a good beer that really stands out from the crowd.

That is an extremely cool beer-geek idea. I would say latitude 48 is not my absolute favor beer ever by any means, but it is my favorite Sam Adams Beer. And living on the 49th parallel myself I get sort of a "local" kick out of it. I'll be on the lookout for this bunch 'o beer.

Lat 48 is probably my least favorite SA beer in the samplers. Neat idea and I like theidea of single brewing with each. I might have to do that. Lat 48 can stay in the store.

I'll be picking one of these up tomorrow, as I enjoyed the six pack of this I had recently.
There is also a local brewer that is distributing single hop beers -- with amarillo, citra and columbus.

I'm thinking this will be a hoppy weekend :)

Impulse-bought this on the way home from work today when I saw it in the grocery store... should be fun.

I don't care for Lat 48 too terribly much but I'll probably grab this and try it out. Definitely a cool idea.

Soon to hit the market: SMaSH beers? who knows

EKG didn't do it for me, but Hallertau Mittelfruh was pretty solid... the rest (Americans!) will have to wait for Saturday.

Mikkeller has been doing this with their single hop IPA series for a while now. Sam Adams really seems to be watching the beer geeks closer these days...

Exactly why Sam Adams rules. Nothing but negative comments, but 80% of you whiners are going to buy their beer. You bitches are puppets, being masterfully controlled by Jim Koch.

Simply awesome.

_

Exactly why Sam Adams rules. Nothing but negative comments, but 80% of you whiners are going to buy their beer. You bitches are puppets, being masterfully controlled by Jim Koch.

Simply awesome.

_

you're right. I don't wanna love Sam Adams, but oh goodness how i do. this new single hop thing is awesome, I might pick up a twelve pack and split it with my dad when i'm home this weekend

I'm in Cleveland. If you see it please post the store location!

I'm brewing with a first time Brewer this weekend. It would expand the learning experience.

I had the deconstructed Simcoe and Zeus at Beer Summit. I like the Latitude 48 IPA because of the bold hoppy flavor but they didn't over do the aroma, and really focused on the flavors. I think its a great idea for IPA lovers.

just bought one of these the other day. Had the ekg and hallertauer last night. Both were great. i really like the idea of the single hops to showcase what they taste like. A great learning experience for me.

I've been working my way trough this. I really like the straight Lat48, for a decent sipping ipa. Each hop really has a different character, bu tI can't quite pick them out in the blend.

Zuess was my fave, by far. The Hallertau was a bit of a let-down on it's own.

Anybody ever used "Bevmo" to ship beer?

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?N=4294956807+4294967255&area=home&ProductID=35270

They don't ship to Montana unfortunately. I'd really like to give this single-hop experiment a try just an exercise for my own palette, does anybody know a way to find out where this stuff is being distributed (more specifically than "nationwide")?

I've been enjoying several local craft brewers' Single-Hopped IPA...but was surprised that some of them don't even say what the hop is on the label!

I haven't been able to find this locally yet. Maybe it hasn't made its way to this side of the country yet.

Has anyone found any interesting blends?

My wife (Damn, I love her...) saw this and bought it after she thought it looked like a great concept. She actually has a better ability to pick hops from a beer blindly than i do. We have tried the base beer, EKG, Zuess, and Simcoe.

Thus far my rankings are:
1) Simcoe
2) Zuess
3) Base beer
4) EKG - seemed a bit too "earthy" for me.

Looking forward to continued research this weekend.

As for SA in general, they have some good beers and some bad beers, but they have one thing...distribution! I travel often for work, SA is in many bars/restaurants and is a safe haven when presented with many other sketchy choices. It is the next BMC club entrant.

Anybody seen this in the Indianapolis area? I'm here for the day and would love to pick this up.

Found it! Any Giant Eagle in the Cleveland area has it, and lots of it too!

They're also always the first to get great lakes Christmas ale.

Anybody see this around the NYC area? I tried a couple of beer distributors on Long Island but no luck. Is this a year-round offering?

I've seen it all over NJ. We did a tasting at our last club meeting and it was extremely well received. Each of the single hop beers were better than the Lat48.

Any where in particular? I have a friend in Clifton (off rte 3) I could ask to pick me up a case.

Thanks

I've got a box sitting in my garage and need to get it fridged up for a sampling this weekend. I think this is an extremely cool thing for Sam Adams to do. Great concept, obviously aimed directly at home brewers, and might influence some others to get into it after tasting the differences. Kudos!

I've seen it all over NJ. We did a tasting at our last club meeting and it was extremely well received. Each of the single hop beers were better than the Lat48.

I've noticed the same, and it has sort of inspired me to have simpler hop bills. I've modified most of my IPA and pale ale recipes so they either have a separate bittering hop and a single flavoring/aroma hop, or simply a single hop throughout.

yeah, this was an awesome pack...i'm going to have to buy another (someone drank 2 of the individual hop beers....)

never had the 48 until tonight....very nice. I forgot what it was like to drink an IPA and not get slapped by 920192238 IBUs. Great malt flavors balance the hops well. I'll buy it again. On to the individually hopped beers!

I'm a little behind, but I finally had a chance to sample this last night. I'm not a professional taster or judge, but my taste buds have experienced hundreds and hundreds of different beers.

Lat48 isn't my favorite IPA, and all of these were a bit too malty for my preference of the style - but it was a joy to try.

r100_7224.jpg

r100_7227.jpg

Tasting notes are as follows. Wish I had a better "vocabulary," something I'll have to work on. Plus, I started getting congested shortly after starting, so my sniffer wasn't up to snuff.

East Kent: no significant hop aroma, nice moderate-bitter finish.

Hallertau: no significant hop aroma, not excessively bitter, wonderful finish.

Simcoe: citrus/grapefruit aroma, quite bitter.

Zeus: neutral aroma, middle of the road, fairly bitter finish.

Ahtanum: grain aroma? Bitter, piney finish.

Latitude 48: floral aroma, great flavor balance.

My top three picks were Hallertau, East Kent, and Lat48 in that order.

I'd like to see other tasting notes - surely they're more detailed than my poor attempt!

I am drinking a kent right now. I find the yeast to be the most significant aroma, but there is a definite initial hop bitter when tasting it. the finish is quite sour, and there is a very nice gentle malt flavor that is pretty well disguised in the full fledge lat48. I taste strong lemon flavors, where I consider the full fledged lat to be very grapefruity.

Back