Latex gloves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only occasionally when bottling or handling yeast. When I brew the only thing I touch that comes in contact with the cooled wort is the end of the racking hose. For that I think dipping my hands into sanitzer is just fine.

Kai

I use gloves to protect my hands from the oxyclean when washing bottles and i always wear gloves and sanitize them before handling sensitive equipment.

No -- I use vinyl. :)

I only use them when bottling if I'm using carbtabs. I'm sure it's over paranoid, but it takes 2 seconds so who cares.

Plus, it's mostly so I don't have to wash my hands again. I wash my hands so much during the day, they're like leather.

I normally use gloves and mask when I am handling the cooled wort, pitching the yeast and bottling the beer.

solidghost said:
I normally use gloves and mask when I am handling the cooled wort, pitching the yeast and bottling the beer.

Wow, that's hardcore sanitation. :D

never used gloves in any stage of brewing. it'd be a wise thing to do if you're making slants, but that's about it.

its not exactly easy to infect beer. you almost have to try, unless your brew house gets contaminated with a few particular bugs.

if you do use gloves make sure they're not powdered. you don't want talc in your wort.

I use them. After all, do you have any idea how hard it is to wash blood stains off...

Oh wait, you said while brewing. No, I don't use gloves while brewing.

I use those cheap plastic food preparation gloves. Actually, not very expensive at all.

I have a full HazMat suit that I wear once the wort gets to below 120F. :D

Seriously, no. I've never worn gloves during any part of brewing and I doubt that I ever will. I sanitize my hands and everything else that I use very thoroughly (sometimes multiple times) every stop of the way so I've never seen gloves or some other type of protective wear necessary.

The down side to wearing gloves is you might brush up against "something contaminated" and not feel it because of the "lost sensitivity" attributable to "one layer of latex."

I do use a 62% alcohol hand sanitizer, but i would rather feel I hit something and sanitize my hands again than unknowingly brush against something and share it with however many bottles.

Gloves are to protect you from biohazards, like strong chemicals patients with hepatitis C.

the thing is no matter how you clean/sanitize your hands, there is going to be some form of bacteria in it. that's why surgeons use gloves to ensure that the contamination is left at a minimum.

anyways, i also think that if you sanitize your equipment properly, it's good enough. i am just a bit paranoid.

Back