Latest Tilt Hydrometer -- Thoughts / Experiences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Going on four years ago, I asked about Tilt and responses generally recommended it. What are your thoughts now....either with the latest version (but not Pro), or with older versions after much use?
  • Generally, is it consistently within a couple points?
  • Can it be relied upon to determine when active fermentation has stopped?
    • What about at the end of a large krausen batch?
  • What about fermenting under pressure?
  • Is there anything good to know in general -- Battery life? Connecting to bluetooth or WiFi? Etc?

Last edited:
I'll say this , nothing is as accurate as a trusty Ole hydrometer when it comes determining if fermentation is complete.

The tilt is off a tad in my experience.

I don't know about fermenting under pressure with a tilt as I've never tried.

Battery life seems good , wifi or Bluetooth hasn't been an issue. My FV is a Cf5 and I can connect to my phone when I'm in that room.

Where the Tilt really helps is when brewing lagers. I know when to start upping the temp. I only use it for brewing lagers . It works great in that aspect.

I have version 2 and I'm pretty happy with it. I think it's doing a good job of letting me know how the fermentation progress is and it's usually pretty good at giving me the correct SG. It depends a bit on which yeast I'm using though, some interfere with the tilt when the krausen is too thick. I think it's also usually easy to see when fermentation is finished.

There's a is a couple of "usually" in there... so it's not perfect, but good enough for me.

I have version 2 and I'm pretty happy with it. I think it's doing a good job of letting me know how the fermentation progress is and it's usually pretty good at giving me the correct SG. It depends a bit on which yeast I'm using though, some interfere with the tilt when the krausen is too thick. I think it's also usually easy to see when fermentation is finished.

There's a is a couple of "usually" in there... so it's not perfect, but good enough for me.
This is my experience as well. Also, I would add, I use it under pressure often and it performs fine.

Back