Latest IPA: Need Input on Sour Citrus Smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerFingers

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Need some input....

So I did a batch of beer on Tuesday after work. I used Cascade and Chinook (finished with Chinook) as my hops- O.G. 1.060. Just a straightforward extract brew.

Anyway, the CO2 given off all week has had a nice sweet citrus smell to it. Last night, I walked by the fermenter (which stopped bubbling Saturday) and gently pushed the top of the lid to get some of that sweet cascade aroma.

It smelled off, but I figured I must be tired and wifey's scented candles are throwing off my nose, so I'd check again. Today I gently pressed the lid and smelled the aroma coming out of the bubbler. I can best describe it as "sour." Not like vinegar or cat pee. Rather the aroma has just a very sour citrus smell (sour grapefruit).

Read my palmer book...it could be an infection, but I doubt it.

I keep thinking that it might be the hops? Is it normal for a cascade/chinook combo to smell like sour citrus?

I bittered with Cascade and finished with Chinook. (yeah I know, not the best utilization of these hops, but whatever)

What do you guys think?

Maybe since you finished with the Chinook it gave the grapefruit aroma/flavor more tartness? I've been theorizing that what makes citrus tart (or sour to some) is also what creates the flavor of the citrus. Since the citrus flavors from hops seem to have the same qualities,it could be that is what you're sensing. The Chinook going in last may've accentuated that aspect.

You know, I did have that thought. I have never used Chinook before so it could be the combo or the fact I added it last? The funny this is, it didn't smell sour in the package or during the bubbling.

I will check it in a week when I take a gravity reading and dry hop. If it is just aroma, but the taste is fine, I will add enough hops to hopefully balance the "sourness" of the aroma.

It kind of doesnt matter how it smells out of the bubbler,its not really going to be your finished result, but often times,yes you can pick up those great hop aroma's. Your only concern would be when its all carbed up and fully conditioned,
Also it may not even really taste that great with a reading sample, i tend to only get a general generic taste,you cant really know exactly how it will taste because it is always better once finished, so its not really going to matter too much how it tastes before botteling unless it is fowl or so sour you cant drink it.
It may smell off because of the yeast smell itself from your bubbler,just be glad you can smell anything from yours,sometimes i get nothing.
Also make shure your temps are in range and not too high or are fluctualting too much, you want a solid controlled temp if possible.

Think the airlock smells funny on finished beer, pop the lid and stick you nose in there real quick. You'll get so much co2 and alcohol you'll want to throw it out. You're good, bottle it, wait, share.

Back