Late Yeast Nutrients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottonwoodks

Reaction score
I pitched the yeast (Premier Blanc) for my last batch of cider ten days ago, and it was really really slow getting started, and then only foamed for a couple of days. It's about 52F. I realized that I didn't put any yeast nutrients in when I started. Is it too late now? Will it help? Will it aversely affect the flavor?

Only if it stalls. Otherwise, let it go. If it does stall, then 25 ppm of DAP will drop SG by 10 points.
How can I tell if it stalls if it's not making any bubbles? Does that mean it's stalled, or might there be fermenting going on that I can't see? Do I have to measure the SG repeatedly? (and thus letting air in)

Yes, measure SG in 1 week intervals. A wine thief or turkey baster will fit thru the airlock hole if you're using a bucket.
Will do. How much drop would one expect in a week with a slow, cold ferment?

Very unlikely to need any additional nutrients. I don't use any in my ciders and they dry right out to around 0.997 most batches. The number one thing that every cidermaker needs but doesn't seem to be able to use = PATIENCE. Leave the cider alone for at least a month if not two or three months before you even think about doing anything to it. Just leave it alone!

Very unlikely to need any additional nutrients. I don't use any in my ciders and they dry right out to around 0.997 most batches. The number one thing that every cidermaker needs but doesn't seem to be able to use = PATIENCE. Leave the cider alone for at least a month if not two or three months before you even think about doing anything to it. Just leave it alone!
Okay. I can do patience.....

Latest posts

Back