Late wort addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradinator

Reaction score
Hey all,

My current setup makes allows for around a 6 gallon boil which is fine for 60 minute beers, but I am planning to do all pilsner smash today and want to extend the boil to 90+ minutes to kill any potential DMS.

90 minute boil with 6 gallons of liquid is probably going to reduce the beer to under 4 gallons, way less then I want.

I was thinking of collecting 7 gallons of wort, boiling 5 gallons to start for 40 minutes then adding the last 2 gallons to the brew pot for the remaining boil time, which should have been reduced down enough to fit it safely. My hop additions are at 40 minutes and 5 minutes so I don't believe I need to take that into consideration. I imagine that the because the bulk of the wort is boiled for 90 minutes most DMS would become undetectable.

I also have the option for a split boil (I have a 2 gallon pot and a 6.5 gallon pot, so 1.5 gallons of wort and 5.5 gallons of wort respectively). I would boil both for equal amounts of time until enough liquid was lost then add them together for the hop additions.

Which option would be better? Or is there possible a third option I have overlooked (that does not involve running out and buying a larger pot)?

Well, if you're doing a 90 minute boil to get rid of DMS, but you're only going to boil 2 gallons of wort for far less time, that seems to be at cross-purposes with the goal.

Can you either a. Don't do a 90 minute boil- instead boil (hard) for the usual time or b. Boil the 2 gallons that doesn't fit somewhere else so that it boils long enough also or c. Make the wort a higher gravity (slightly) so you can top off with water after boiling 6 gallons for 90 minutes?

Back