Late Stage Fermentation Temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEPNew2Brew

Reaction score
For my IPAs, I have in the past tried to hold the fermentation temp at right around 60-62 for three to four weeks before dry hopping.

After a week or two, is it better to let the temperature rise to closer to 70 F or does it not really matter?

Please let me know your thoughts. I have an all Centennial IPA (71% 2 row, 26% Vienna and 3% carapils) that I have let drift to 64 and I am thinking of bringing it upstairs to the main floor of my house and letting it drift up to 70 or so.

Thank you.

Might depend on the yeast, sometimes finishing warmer helps clean up stuff like diacetyl. But IME generally using WLP001 on numerous IPAs I've noticed no difference in flavor from 65 to 72, even from the start. Always pretty clean. Room temps will make the dry hop work faster, slightly. I've been doing 3 day dry hops at 72 and then kegging on more hops for longevity. 62 seems cold to me, so YMMV :).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back