Late Night Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firerat

F-You I'm Drunk
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My newest adventure in my brewing, um, career i guess for lack of better word is late night brewing.

I have 2 kids under 5 and my wife being a nurse working many weekends tends to go to bed early Friday nights.

Which makes certain Friday nights the perfect time to brew! Tonight marks my 3rd late night brew and honestly, I'm loving it.

Any one else an owl brewer? (Haha just came up with that)

With the exception of a few random extract brews very early on, I'm not sure I have started a brew day later than 8-9am. I work a three shift rotation, so every week I have a few stray weekdays off, and those are my brew days so I still have the weekend with the wife. It's honestly never ever occurred to me to brew at night haha.

Yeah, quite a concept. 🤪

now you got me trying to remember if this is the thread about not drinking during brewing, or not sleeping.....

edit: refreshed my memory and @firerat be sure to at least play this loud once during the boil! it would help your wife sleep! ;)

Ive got 3 kids under 5, so I try to start brewing at 7...when I was doing 2.5 gal batches I would finish at 10 or 11.
Last batch was on a new system and 5 gallons, so finished at 1am
Also I brew fridays and my wife is a nurse.
staying up that late only works since my whole new brew rig is in the garage so I'm not waking anybody like with the kitchen!

I usually start in the afternoon sterilizing and then finish in the late night scrubbing and sterilizing again. My brew days - from sterilizing and setting up the gear thru brewing and back full circle to tearing down and sterilizing the gear - usually take about 8 hours. So I run about 2-3 pm until at least 10-11PM or so. My wife hates the smell too, so she disappears as soon as I start mixing the Starsan. When she hears mash music (prog rock) on the stereo, she asks for fair warning before the boil.
Once issued, she closes off her part of the house and leaves me to my dungeon.:mischievous:

For the last 10 years I brewed on my patio at my small townhouse and had to pack everything back into the storage shed once done. That wasn't something I was going to do at 1 AM.

Now I have 1 car of a 2 car garage at my disposal, so if things don't get put away right away, it's no big deal.

Back