Late LME addition time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boondoggie

Reaction score
I just brewed NB's Phat Tyre kit, and it was my first time doing a late extract addition...

Now, I killed the flame with 18 minutes remaining, added the LME, and restarted the fire and added the 15min hops...

It took me a good 5 minutes to get a rolling boil again. (SP10 burner, 8gallon alum pot) Do I care? Should I start the 15min from the time it's boiling again, or be happy with 10min of rolling boil?

I pause my timer when I pull my pot off the heat to add my LME, and don't restart it until I reach a boil again. I think that's SOP for late extract additions. So, if I have a 15 min hop addition, I would either toss them in before removing from the flame, or add them when I reach boil again and then start my timer back up.

I just brewed NB's Phat Tyre kit, and it was my first time doing a late extract addition...

Now, I killed the flame with 18 minutes remaining, added the LME, and restarted the fire and added the 15min hops...

It took me a good 5 minutes to get a rolling boil again. (SP10 burner, 8gallon alum pot) Do I care? Should I start the 15min from the time it's boiling again, or be happy with 10min of rolling boil?

You should be fine at 10 minutes. Palmer in his How to Brew book talks about adding the last of the extract with 5 minutes to go, I think.

Back