Late Hopping Techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storunner13

Reaction score
So, I've been creating some recipes and I've been contemplating 2 different general methods of late hopping some pale ales... I'll either add the hops at 2 different times (something around 10-15 and 0-5) OR I'll hop at 5 minute intervals starting at 20 minutes.

What have people experienced with both these methods? I'm wondering whether hopping with 3oz using .5 at 20-15-10-5-0-whirlpool would give better/more flavor and aroma than 1.5 at 15' and 1.5 at 0'. OR if not necessarily better...how is it different?

I think this is one of those "Try it and see what ya like" kinda things. I have done similar to both, but so much is dependent on hop variety, smell and flavor, that you'll have to try and see. If you add over 20 min its going to give you MORE and DIFFERENT aroma notes due the the length and continual boil. The "in between 15 and 5 min" aromas if you will. I think it would add more complexity to the whole aroma, but remember. There is such thing as to much of a good thing. It wont ruin it, or change the flavor much either way. Do remember this though. Since sent and taste are so closely related and dependent on each other, changing the aroma hops will affect flavor and maybe bitterness a bit. If you don't believe me try drinking a cola that came out of a live bait tank while fishing. Or a cooler the bait was kept in. I promise the can smelling like fish will keep you from enjoying your soda!

Back