Late Hop (only) IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutcase

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done an IPA with only late hops additions? I'm wondering about doing a brew with all of the hop additions in the last 5 minutes or so. I recipe I was thinking of was about 96% two row, 2% cara pils and 2% crystal 40, and 6 ounces of simcoe and 6 oz centennial at in the 5 minute range (5 gallon batch). Then some dry hops. I should be able to get about 70 IBU's that way. I think this sounds delicious- but its an expensive brew and I wanted to see what some thts are and if anyone has tried this sort of thing how it came out

Using about an ounce of each for 60 mins should get you close to 70 IBUs. Why not just do that and dry hop the hell out of it? Unless this is an experiment you're trying; I'm not one to stand in the way of science :mug:

its an experiment i want to try. But before i throw 12 ounces at something that I don't necessarily need to (like u said) I wanted to see if anyone else has tried something similar

I've done it many times and in general I find that because the late additions contribute a "smoother" bittering, I have to jack the IBU count way up to get the kind of bittering I like. For instance, for a beer that calcs about 75 IBU with a "normal" schedule, I have to get it to calc more like 130-150 IBU to experience the same kind of bitterness when I do all late hops.

Back