Late hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmitty

Reaction score
I have just started doing some allgrain recipes. The last 2 called for a hop addition at 0 min of boil. My question is should the hops be added at 0min and transferred into fermenter or taken out after cooling wort.

I have just started doing some allgrain recipes. The last 2 called for a hop addition at 0 min of boil. My question is should the hops be added at 0min and transferred into fermenter or taken out after cooling wort.

Take them out before transferring to the fermenter. Some people like to do "hop stands" where they let the hops steep in the wort for a certain amount of time before cooling but with your heat source turned off.

The flame out hops should be left to sit in the hot wort for a hop stand, I like 15- 30 minutes during the whirlpool and allow to settle.

I use a CFC for chilling so my trub is left in the kettle but you can certainly dump your cooled wort, hops and all into the primary or you can filter through a strainer if you prefer,unless you plan on harvesting the yeast it doesn't really matter as it will all settle out anyways.

You'll want to take them at some point before pitching the yeast. Definitely no reason to leave them in for the primary fermentation. Zero minute hop additions add a lot of hop character, but no bitterness (or more correctly, no bittering units). I'm seeing more and more IPA recipes call for most of the hops added in the last 5 minutes.

I wish I had posted this before brewing the beer lol. Well I have transferred them into the fermenter already. Anybody know how this will affect the beer. The recipe was Yoopers fizzy yellow beer.

Following because I did this without knowing I was supposed to take them out too...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think at worst you'll end up with some grassy characteristics and some problems separating the beer from the hops. The grassy notes you can age out of a beer depending on the style. I think the biggest challenge will be removing the hops from that beer.

I think at worst you'll end up with some grassy characteristics and some problems separating the beer from the hops. The grassy notes you can age out of a beer depending on the style. I think the biggest challenge will be removing the hops from that beer.

Nope, grassy off flavors should not be an issue at all. Even when I used to dump I never had that problem.

Grassy notes can be an issue when using a LOT of dry hops for too long a period of time and some hops can impart more than others but otherwise there really shouldn't be any problems.

Sent from the Commune

Nope, grassy off flavors should not be an issue at all. Even when I used to dump I never had that problem.

Grassy notes can be an issue when using a LOT of dry hops for too long a period of time and some hops can impart more than others but otherwise there really shouldn't be any problems.

Sent from the Commune

That was really the worst case scenario I could think of. For some people, if you do a primary for more than 4 weeks, it seems reasonable to worry about the grassy notes at that point. I seldom dry hop for longer than 2 weeks and I do a whirlpool at the end of my boil so I don't get a lot of hop gunk in there.

That recipe has .5 oz of tettnang at flame out. It doesn't need a hopstand or anything, as long as the hops are in their for the chill.

Noble hops don't get very grassy or vegetal from being in the boil, and .5 oz is not going to make a whit of difference, whether removed or not. It would be silly to stress about something that small and meaningless in my opinion.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I am not in anyway stressing about the beer just want to try and get more knowledge of the process. Great or not great beer I will still drink it anyway.:drunk:

Back