Late hop additions on an RIS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtlChief

Reaction score
I am about to brew JZ's RIS recipe from Brewing Classic Styles, and it has a 2oz addition of EKG at 10 mins and then another 2oz at 1 min...

I am curious: what is the point of a 1 minute addition in a beer that will age for 3-6months? Has anyone done this, or better yet, tried with and w/o the late addition? Any thoughts?

Doesn't make sense to me since those are usually flavor additions and your really not going to taste them in a ris, most additions I've seen are either all added at the 60 min mark or 60 with a small addition at 30 and those are just to get the bitterness. But hey if it's in a book it's tried and true so give it a shot. What abv is this beer and what hops is it calling for, just curious.

9.5% ABV
There is a 1.5oz of horizon at 60 mins, and then the 2oz of East Kent Goldings at both 10 mins and 1 min...

I'm leaning towards just brewing it the way it's written (who am I to question Jamil Z?), but it didn't jive w/ my limited understanding so I wanted to see what others thought.

Thanks!

Even if you lose most of the aroma you definitively get some flavour that keeps. It will be more sharp / herby hoppy than just clean bitter.

I have an 8% ABV graff thats almost 6 months old that has some EKG at 5 minutes and I can still detect it (extremely malty grain bill with Golden Promise as the base malt). I think you will still detect it even out at 6 months, its one of my favorite parts of my graff that I can detect the EKGs.

It's always worth experimenting and removing the late additions and seeing how it turns out. I know a RIS is expensive, could just collect the runnings and do separate boils.

Back