Late Extract.... Forgot Extract..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
So in doing a late extract, forgot the late extract. Mixed it back in but never got it back to a boil. probably was in there 5 minutes before i started cooling it down.

Now I read should pasteurize it which would mean it should have been in there longer...10-15 minutes

Just relax with my brews and forget about it?

I'm sure it's fine. The extract was already processed, so it was pretty darn sanitary when you opened it.

I make cheese, and I only heat my milk to 165 degrees for 15 seconds to pasteurize it. If that's enough for milk from a farm animal, I would guess that your boiling wort was enough to sanitize your extract. I have no bacteriology to back me up, of course. I'm just thinking of how much worse we've done to our beers and they've turned out great!

Yeah 20 batches on extract and still making mistakes... Damn home runs and hits in the game were distracting!

Also just realized I inadvertently watered down my other batch by filling it to 6 gallons instead of 5. Oh well at least I can pound it when the weather is hot!

Small beers, hot weather and lawn mowing. (Reminds me I need to put the charger on mine.)

BTDT.

I normally add 2/3 of my DME at flameout and never reboil. There is plenty of latent heat in 5 gallons of wort to sanitize the DME.

Tom

when you do late extract at flameout, do you add your hops at the same time the recipe calls for?

when you do late extract at flameout, do you add your hops at the same time the recipe calls for?

Yes. You may want to run the recipe through some software, though, to make sure that the hopping is still what you want. Lower gravity boils cause better hops utilization, so you can get more bittering out of the same number of bittering hops. Not a problem with many beers, but it a lower IBU beer, you may want to reduce the bittering hops about 25%. We can run it through some software to help you out.

Lower gravity boils cause better hops utilization

No they don't; this is a common home brewing myth that the major players (e.g. Palmer) are only starting to work to correct since about a year ago.

Hops utilization is independent of gravity.

More break material causes decreased utilization, but that's a function of total break--so assuming you're talking about 2 beers using the same fermentables, the one with the bigger OG will have lower utilization. But late vs. early addition shouldn't affect that much, if at all (since the total amount of break material is the same).

And it's worth remembering that it's really not a function of gravity but of break material (if you get a lot of gravity from simple sugars, that doesn't hurt utilization because it generates almost no break; if you have a low gravity but all from wheat or rye, that'll hurt utilization significantly because of all the break they generate).

This is something that the most common home brewing IBU estimation formulas get wrong (hence most brewing software gets it wrong as well).

For more info (including a link to an interview with John Palmer on the subject) and links see: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/estimating-bitterness-algorithms-state-art-109681/

Yes, I've heard that there is some change in the thinking. Whether or not it really is independent of boil gravity, when I personally started adding extract late in the boil (or doing full boils with extract), my beer was more bitter. My personal experience is that I need to reduce only the bittering hops by 25%. My Dead Guy at the "regular" partial boil didn't have a strong bittering, but once I tried it with adding the extract late, to my mind it was about twice as bitter.

Later, I got some software and ran the numbers and the IBUs jumped from 15 to about 28 in the software. I thought to myself, "yeah, that seems about right to what I taste".

So, whether or not Palmer said it, and then changed his mind or not- I can honestly say that in my experience the bittering does change.

I am no scientist but it makes sence to me that hop oils would disolve easyer in thinner, less saturated water than a thicker more saturated wort. It seems break material would be sort of a funtction of the sweet wort and not the other way around.

No they don't; this is a common home brewing myth that the major players (e.g. Palmer) are only starting to work to correct since about a year ago.

Hops utilization is independent of gravity.

Whatever the cause, I've noticed the same thing as YooperBrew since doing full boils with late extract additions. My next pale ale will be getting 20% fewer bittering hops.

Tom

I've read that Palmer has changed his theory on the gravity/hops utilization issue but I'm not sure that he totally reversed it and said it was a myth. I do PMs and used to add some extract at the beginning of the boil - now I wait on all of it until the end, boiling only the mash runnings and lowering the boil gravity. It definitely made some difference in how well the bittering hops come through.

Back