Late extract addition seems to work, but

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed_brews_now

Reaction score
I brewed my usually ale (Belgian ale yeast -- no candied sugar additions, hopped 20 IBUs) recipe, but this time I did late extract addition. With a 6lb all pilsner extract I put 1lb at the beginning of the boil. At 20 minutes I put in the remainder and let it boil backup. (Advice: boil overs are a tendency at this point so watch carefully.)

The wort came out much noticeably lighter in color than when I did the full boil with this recipe.

I am guessing that I will have a lower final gravity and that it will be less sweet.

My worry is the taste. I enjoy my usual recipe -- and I think it is because of sweetness of the caramelized un-fermentable sugar that resulted from the long boil and which also causes the darker color.

Also, I am guessing that the sweetness masks a lot of off flavors since it may be the case that a dryer finish exposes more off ale flavours.

If you are making a Belgian-style beer I think the lower FG would be a positive, as low FG is a desirable characteristic to the Belgians. Personally, if I was shooting for a sweeter taste and higher FG in a Belgian I'd get that through caramel malts like Aromatic or Special B than through carmelization of sugar in the boil.

But, if you enjoy the taste from boiling all the extract than by all means do that....if you are listing the positives from doing the late extract addition as drawbacks for your particular recipe there isn't really a reason to do them at all, right?

But, if you enjoy the taste from boiling all the extract than by all means do that....if you are listing the positives from doing the late extract addition as drawbacks for your particular recipe there isn't really a reason to do them at all, right?

I am curious as to whether the theory of what it should taste like with late extract matches the final outcome. It is all for experimentation. Maybe I might enjoy this new one more.

More precisely I am curious to see if off flavors and hops are easier to taste in a dryer beer.

Back