Late Extract Addition Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll second the "very little". I find the volume of the boil has a noticable impact. If doing a partial I'll make sure not to go under 3 gallons.

I've found that adding the extract late will increase the bitterness you get from your bittering hops, if that is what you are asking. Brewed a pale ale kit when I was just starting out and accidentally turned it into an IPA (which was fine with me!). If you use brewing software you can generally list which are added late and it will adjust the recipe, but I'm not sure how accurate they are.

If you are asking about utilization of your other hops, I don't think there is any effect on them, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you've got a kit and the recipe says to add all the extract at the beginning but you want to do a late addition, it might wind up a little more bitter. If you wanted, you could move some of the bittering hops to later in the boil for a little for flavor/aroma.

Back