Late extract addition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtapper

Reaction score
I'm gonna brew my last extract this weekend before going AG. I want to try a late extract addition. What ratio do I use 50/50? Also do I need to change the amount of hops, for utilization? I searched but the answers varied greatly.

50/50 is fine, although I go 1/99 (just one cup in the boil). You don't need to change your hops, any difference in utilization should be subtle. Cheers!

Some say you get a bunch more hop utilization. Other's say it's not much. My brew software shows a big change in IBU's when I switch to a late extract addition. Yet I don't usually adjust for it and I don't see that much of a difference.

I think it has to do with measured IBU's and what you taste as bitterness. *shrug* experiment with it and see what YOU think and do what works for YOU.

I do partial mash and like to boil with just what I get from my grains, then I add my extract with 15 minutes left or less. Sometimes I add it at flameout.

IMO the hop utilization is noticeable. I always account for the change when doing late additions. What style are you brewing?

Back