Late extract addition how much hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
I am making a morebeer blonde ale with the ingredients ---- 7 lb ultralight LME 1/2 lb crystal 15L and 1oz willamette.

I am wondering if I need to make a hop adjustment, because I plan on just eyeballing about half the LME and put that in at the beginning and the rest in at 15 mins.

I am doing this in like 30 minutes so please respond quickly if possible.

Thank you very much!

Patton

if youre going to use the whole hop addition for bittering, just put the whole 1oz in at 60 min. the lme going in at the end shouldnt affect the bitterness, its the wort youre bittering, not the lme. but if in doubt, like he said, check in beersmith.

Beer Smith or other brewing software can calculate the difference in IBUs for you. Then you can decide whether to adjust or not.

My trial ran out of beersmith and I can't buy it at the moment and I know the wort your bittering, but from everything I have heard late extract addition gives it a higher hop utilization and since I don't have brewing software I need to know if I will have alot more bitterness than intended.

If you do a late addition of extract to stave off undue coloring, you will see an increase in hop utilization- meaning more bitterness. I've not done late extract addition for quite some time, but I vaguely recall that you should reduce the amount of bittering hops by 15%-20%.

If you do a late addition of extract to stave off undue coloring, you will see an increase in hop utilization- meaning more bitterness. I've not done late extract addition for quite some time, but I vaguely recall that you should reduce the amount of bittering hops by 15%-20%.

Thank you and I will probably go by that, but does anyone know a definite percentage or be kind enough to plug this into beersmith.

I would be doing a 3 gall boil with final volume of 5 gallon.

I don't have Beersmith and I'm not sure how to have BeerToolsPro tell me what you're after, so I'd assume a 15% reduction. You'll not taste the difference in 2-3 IBUs.

I wouldn't bother making any adjustment.

I wouldn't either. I had this question recently myself. See the post here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/why-late-extract-addition-103544/

Read what jmiracle said in post #6. Makes a lot of sense especially with the 3 gallon boil you are doing.

What I did was about 10 or 15 minutes prior to addition of my finishing hops, I boiled a gallon of water in a separate pot, turned the heat off and added the second half of the extract to it and stirred it up. The timing was perfect so I just poured this in the boiling wort and added my finishing hops. The boil never slowed down.

Dennis

I wouldn't make any adjustment ewither, but I have to ask...isn't the LME hopped already? :confused:

For reduced boils and LA you get the best hop extraction/utilization by keeping the water to malt ratio 1:1. That means if you are boiling 1 gal then add 1 lb, 2 gals then 2 lbs, 3 gals then 3 lbs, etc. for 60 minutes.

I've been doing reduced boils and the LA method years before it was reported as an actual "method"..."discovered" in 2002...(first done in 1994 for me...). One interesting thing I noticed (it's logic afterall) is if you double up on the hops (2 oz) and reduce the boil time to 30 mins then you get the same amount of bitterness extracted from the hops as if you boiled 1 oz for 60 mins PLUS flavoring from the hops...

I went with approx. 1/5 less hops so 4/5 of an oz went in. Doubt it will affect it much and I probably won't be able to notice.

Back