Late edition extract question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZBeer

Reaction score
2 outta 3, and maybe the wit that is fermenting have turned dark brown...or at least darker than I would like brown. First beer I added all of my LME & DME early, but since then I've only been adding a small amount of the DME/ LME at the beginning, then adding the rest at flameout.

Do I need to add any malt extract early?

I am gathering equipment to try out some BIAB AG, I am assuming this is an extract problem.

Extract beers are generally going to be a little darker, with the LME being darker than DME. Are you using mostly LME or DME? Is your LME fresh? Your going to get your lightest extract beers by using the lightest possible DME and adding the majority of it at flameout.

Mix of both. Some LME, but it happens with straight DME too.

I think it's fresh. I buy from Northern Brewer or a local shop that seems to get pretty good traffic.

Extract beers don't have to be darker, merely due to the use of LME. Just use no more than a pound per gallon in the partial boil. I prefer to use DME in the boil, since maillard reactions affect it less than liquid extracts.
And they won't automatically be darker, merely due to extract. It's all in how they're utilized. 1lb per gallon in the boil, then the rest added at flameout to keep the color lighter & flavor fresher. And since pasteurization happens in seconds @ 160F, & the wort at flame out is still boiling hot, Bob's your uncle.

Back