Late DME Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davida

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing up a batch of Mango Pale Ale this weekend.
In the base recipe, I use a late malt addition of LME at flame out.
However, I have some extra DME on hand.
Can you do a late malt addition with DME?
When I brew with DME I find it needs to boil to completely dissolve so I'm concerned about using the dry at flame out.
I do partial boils if this matters.
:mug:

You can definitely do a late addition with DME or LME, and it doesn't have to be at flameout. Feel free to do it anytime prior to flameout. I typically see folks add late additions about 5-10 minutes to the end of boil to ensure that it gets fully dissolved and sterilized.

I typically added my DME at 10-15min, gave it time to dissolve and for the wort to come back to a boil for a bit. don't forget that DME adds volume (I always did), so if you're pushing the capacity of your kettle you might get a boilover.

You don't need to boil it to dissolve or sanitize it. Pasteurization happens in a few seconds at 162F. So adding either one at flame out is fine,since the wort is still boiling hot. DME doesn't need to be boiled to dissolve. Hot wort at flame out will dissolve it just fine. I've been doing these things for a couple years now,& all my beers were fine.

Back