Late DME addition kill hop utilization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
I brewed an IPA last Friday:

10# 2-row
2# Crystal 20
.5 oz Magnum 13.2%AA @ 60
.5 oz Cascade 6.2%AA @ 15
.5 oz Cascade 6.2%AA @ 10
.5 oz Summit 17.5%AA @ 10
.5 oz Simcoe 11%AA @ 5
.5 oz Summit 17.5%AA @ 5
.5 oz Simcoe 11%AA @ FO
.5 oz Summit 17.5%AA @ FO
Denny's Favorite

Mashed 154 for 60, got conversion via iodine test.

Have not dry-hopped yet. BeerSmith puts it at 59.1 IBUs.

The Est PB OG was 1.056, and I hit 1.044. Est OG was 1.065. I have no idea what happened to my efficiency. So I added 1.75# Extra light DME I had with 15 min left in the boil, and it pulled the OG up to 1.072.

I am getting almost NO hop character in this beer so far. I just took a grav, and it's at 1.020, 1.017 est. so I think I'm fine on the FG with he bump in the OG. But with .5 oz of Magnums in 5 gallons for 60, I should get some bitterness, and I'm just not. The aroma hops are barely noticeable, as well. It's sweet, like it's WAY underhopped. The dry hops won't help that much. It might smell hoppy, but it won't taste hoppy.

Did the late-boil DME kill my beer?

[...]Did the late-boil DME kill my beer?

Nearly all of the bittering happens during the long part of the boil from early additions, so it seems unlikely that your DME addition near the end would affect the actual "utilization". It may have thrown things out of balance, but assuming the early hop adds actually were as potent as you presumed, nearly all of the expected bittering should be there...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back