Late density

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadBoozer

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have three 5 gallons of beer that is fermenting for a few weeks in my closet, but as I was sanitizing my equipment, I broke my hydrometer. So I kept a sample of each beer in a soft drink bottle, for like one to two weeks. I bought a new hydrometer this morning and so I took the gravity of my samples. So my question is, do you think that it will affect the results to have waited so long? I use some Cooper's malt extract and the results were: Stout=1.041 Bitter=1.037 Real Ale=1.041

If those are the current gravities, no fermentation has occurred. Final gravities should run 1.008-1.012.

Are these the samples and were they refrigerated? If so, get new samples from the fermenters.

The samples were took when I brewed the beer, before to pitch the yeast, and with time it got some residues floating in it. They were not refrigerated, I kept them in my closet so they were at approximatly 70 F.

Ok, the numbers are likely to be very close to the original gravities and correct for Cooper's kits.

cheezydemon said:
Now pour those samples into the fermenter for God's sake!

I would not add those samples back into the now finished beer, even if the original soda bottles were sanitized. For me, the risk of contamination from them would be too high.

Back