Late addition of malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew an IPA.

I am considering doing a late malt addition. In the past, I have always added all of my malt at the beginning of the boil.

This batch I plan to steep a pound of Crystal then do a 60 minute boil with about 3 lbs of DME. Hop additions at 60, 30, 10 and flame out. I plan to add an additional 4 lbs of DME at the 10 min hop addition. The boil will start at about 6 gallons.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

Thanks,,,,,,John

Sounds good to me. Adding that much extract will stop the boil for a bit, so keep that in mind. I'd probably add it closer to flame out, just so stopping the boil isn't an issue with the hopping.

I usually add it earlier; around 30 minutes to go. Reason: I want the wort to be back to a full boil for any flavor and aroma additions, and also want it in before I put my immersion cooler in. I stop the clock when I add it and restart when it gets back to the boil.

I've added that much dme or lme at 15 minutes already and the boil has resumed within a few minutes. The dme/lme has already been boiled. Adding the dme that late in the boil will reduce the darkening of wort. You'll be fine adding it with 15 minutes left.

Back