Late addition of LME or DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale_Jail

Reaction score
I am sure this question has been asked before but I just can't find it.

When would you want to add the extract later in the boil and what would it do for you if anything? So instead of boiling the extract for 60 min....maybe boil half for 60 and half for 30 or some other combination.

I am just starting to come up with my own recipes. Some of the kits I have used in the past had me using all the extract at the beginning of the boil and some had me adding some of the extract at a later time.

Thanks for your help.

Color and caramel. From my understanding, the longer you boil, the darker it gets. I can see it being like hops in that flavor and aroma show up differently relative to boil time. You boil to emulsify hop oils, that's why you can make no boil batches with the right ingredients.

The more extract you have in for longer boil - darker beer. Supposedly due to malliard reactions. Supposed to create a more unfermentablle wort - not sure I believe that, but it does make it darker.

Better hop utilization (more IBUs) with less sugar in the boil. This has been the thought for years, but is now being questioned. I think it is real.

I add the late extract after flame-out. That way it does not mess up the boil (have to bring it back to the boil, and should the time be counted or not?!?), there is no risk of scorching the extract, and it helps with the cooling of the wort. The temp will still be way above pasteurization temperature.

I add between 2 & 3lbs of extract-LME or DME-to a 3 1/2 gallon boil. The rest @ flame out for lighter color & cleaner flavor. Since the wort is still boiling hot @ flame out, & pasteurization happens in seconds @ 160F, it works great.

If you are making a pale style (pilsner, pale ale, cream ect) it will darken much less with late addions. I find DME is much easier for adding late in the boil.

So for a German wheat beer it really would not matter too much....the late addition mainly just keeps the beer lighter in color and may change the flavor but not much

Back