Late addition of Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillageBrew

Reaction score
I always do a late addition of LME at about 15 minutes left. I usually pour in about a third in the beginning and the rest later. Just a thought here. I was brewing last night and was wondering what the consequences would be if I did a total late addition of extract at 15-20 minutes from flame out. I am sure that the hop utilization would be effected and it might be clearer because of little to no extract caramelization. Any thoughts? I am trying to figure out how to get the best out of LME brewing. (light colors, no extract twang)

You need to have a base level of gravity in your boil or else you'll risk extracting a lot of astringent flavors from your hops, so if all or most of your gravity is coming from LME, I would stick with doing what you're doing. Late addition is really all about color, it's not going to noticeably affect your flavor (except with regard to hop utilization).

There is no such thing as extract twang. Getting the best out of extract brewing is about perfecting other portions of your process, like pitching the right amount of healthy yeast and maintaining proper fermentation temperatures. Full boil + high enough cell count + temperature control = great beer, regardless of where your gravity comes from.

I've tried and never adopted the late extract method.
in my opinion a lot of the problems people have getting a OG reading with partial boils and top off water, claiming water wont mix, come directly from
late extract additions.

The fact that water is hard to get mixed with sweet wort is not because of late extract additions. It's because the sweet wort is heavier. Basically it's partial boils that have to be topped off that so it.
But it's far less of a problem when pouring chilled wort & top off water throught a fine mesh strainer,then stiring roughly with a plastic paddle for 5 minutes straight. It oxygenates better,& mixes quite well. I've been doing this for a while now,& it helps readings & oxygenating wort quite well.

Back