Late addition malt extract and "cold break"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DArsenault

Reaction score
Hi, I was reading that a lot of people recommend adding a large portion of the supplied malt extract at flame out rather than at the beginning of the boil, so I think I'm going to try this method. I am a little confused about how this would effect the "cold break". It was my understanding that one of the most important steps is lowering the wort temp as quickly as possible once the boil has stopped. Obviously adding the malt extract at flame out, as well as any other post-boil additions would delay the time before you can start significantly dropping the temp. Anyone have any input on this?
Thanks.

My wort is still around 190f after adding my extract at flame out and a short rest with the lid on. So it should have no effect on cold break

Ok,if I'm using,say,1 Cooper's can with a 3lb bag of plain DME & two ounces of hops in a beer,it goes like this. The boil is 2.5-3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon SS kettle. 1.5-2 pounds of the plain DMe go in the boil. Stir till clumps completely dissolve. You may get a little hot break,but not much. Reduce heat on boil to evenly,gently rolling boil after forst couple of minutes. That little bit of wide open heat getting through the hot break gives a better break & clearer beer later. Add an ounce of hops,start timer at 20 minutes. at 15 minutes,add second hop addition. This is for a prehopped can. If using plain LME (added at the end),then you need a bittering addition & start timer at 60 minutes. So at the end of the boil,remove kettle from heat & quickly add remaining DME & all the LME. Stir till completely dissolved. Cover & steep a couple minutes. Since it's still boiling hot,& pasteurization happens at 160F in seconds,it's all good. Then chill down to near pitch temp,strain into fermenter & add chilled top off water. Stir like mad for 5 minutes to mix & aerate a lil more. Take hydrometer sample & pitch yeast. Seal'er up.
And hot break is in the kettle right before it boils. Cold break is when you're chilling it down as rapidly as possible to precipitate protiens.

Back