late addition LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffcow

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of trying a late addition LME recipe that says to add it at 15 minutes, and I'm wondering if people have problems with the late addition stopping the boil? I know that it certainly kills the boil when I add LME at the beginning.

So if this does stop the boil, what adjustments do i need to make to keep the hopping schedule on track? Should i stop the timer when i add the LME, then restart it once it returns to a boil? Or should I just add it and hope it returns to a boil quickly without changing the times?

Yeah, it'll stop the boil. Partly because there is a volume of extract, and partly because it's best to take it off the burner while you add it.

Why not add it at flame out? That's plenty hot enough to pasteurize the LME, but won't interrupt the boil like it would at 15 minutes.

I usually just added it at the end of the boil whenever I did late addition. The theory behind adding it 15 minutes before the end is that it needs to be boiled to be sanitized, but given that this LME is supposed to come from clean wort in the first place and is almost definitely packaged in a very clean environment, I was never concerned about it myself. There are tons of places that were much more likely to give me an infection than my late extract addition ever was. So I just added it at 0 minutes, stirred for about five minutes, and then started cooling my wort.

However, isomerization of alpha acids (what boiling does for hops) still occurs at sub boiling temps, I'm not exactly sure how low, but I believe it is at anything above 190 F, so if you don't have a huge drop in temp you should be able to continue with your schedule as usual.

Yeah, it'll stop the boil. Partly because there is a volume of extract, and partly because it's best to take it off the burner while you add it.

Why not add it at flame out? That's plenty hot enough to pasteurize the LME, but won't interrupt the boil like it would at 15 minutes.

The only reason not to add it at flame out was that the directions say 15 minutes.. Flameout works for me though.

I usually dip the LME container in the wort to get the last little bit out.. Is it hot enough to pasteurize whatever happens to be on the LME container too?

I stop the timer when the boil starts and then restart it once I get the wort back up to a boil. Actually, I usually start it up a bit before the wort hits a full roiling boil. I don't make any hop adjustments.

Nothing wrong though with adding it at flameout. I don't do that since I put my immersion chiller in the wort with ~10 minutes left in the boil to sanitize it. Mixing in DME with the chiller in there would be a pain in the ass.

I stop the timer when the boil starts and then restart it once I get the wort back up to a boil. Actually, I usually start it up a bit before the wort hits a full roiling boil. I don't make any hop adjustments.

Nothing wrong though with adding it at flameout. I don't do that since I put my immersion chiller in the wort with ~10 minutes left in the boil to sanitize it. Mixing in DME with the chiller in there would be a pain in the ass.

couldnt agree more with the addition at flameout........have done it many times..........

just need to get yourself a counterflow chiller and you wont need to worry about it :D

couldnt agree more with the addition at flameout........have done it many times..........

just need to get yourself a counterflow chiller and you wont need to worry about it :D

yeah well...add it to the list. Besides, I'm pretty fond of the IC since I made it myself

Back