Lasting IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterfuse

Reaction score
I will be moving soon and this will stop me brewing for a while so planning on brewing a large batch of something special so i want to make a fairly hoppy IPA. Inspiration will be taken from the Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA so i'd appreciate some help with this. This is not intended to be a replica, just a really clean, hoppy IPA.

This is what i was thinking, the measurements are roughly converted to US.

Recipe Type: All Grain/Partial
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 8
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU: 72
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 13
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14

OG 1.065 / FG 1.013 / IBU 72 / SRM 12

8 Gallon Batch

Malts
13 lbs English 2-row Lager
0.5 lb Crystal 60L

Extract & Adjunct
2 lbs light DME
2 lbs Honey

Hops & Boil
1.5oz Magnum 14%AA (60 min)
1oz Cascade 7%AA (15 min)
0.5oz Magnum 14%AA (15 min)
1oz Cascade 7%AA (5 min)
0.5oz Magnum 14%AA (5 min)
1oz Cascade 7%AA (0 min)
1oz Irish Moss (15 min)

1oz Cascade 7%AA (Dry Hopped for 7 Days)
1oz Magnum 14%AA (Dry Hopped for 7 days)

Thanks for looking and i welcome amendments.

The key to making an IPA that lasts is less to do with the recipe and more to do with process. Be extra careful about letting oxygen in after fermentation, if you have a kegging system flush everything (carboys, bottles, tubing etc...) with CO2 post-fermentation. I'd also get it and keep it as cold as possible after it is carbonated. Hope that helps.

The recipe looks good, although I would probably use something other than magnum for the late boil and dry hop additions (more cascades would be fine).

Seems like a pretty low malt bill for 8 gallons. I typically use 15 pounds of grain for a 5 gallon batch.

Well spotted thanks, i forgot to mention i would be adding 2 pounds of light DME and 2 pounds of honey to boost the OG as my mash tun cant hold more than about 13-14 pounds of grain so i will amend the recipe.

Looks like a good recipe but I agree with Oldsock on using the Magnums just for bittering and using the citrusy Cacade for flavor/aroma.

And what about Citra hops? You mentioned making a Torpedo-like IPA... I think a small amount of Citra Hops gives it that little bit of fruitiness in the finish. Maybe try adding some of those?

Looks like a good recipe but I agree with Oldsock on using the Magnums just for bittering and using the citrusy Cacade for flavor/aroma.

And what about Citra hops? You mentioned making a Torpedo-like IPA... I think a small amount of Citra Hops gives it that little bit of fruitiness in the finish. Maybe try adding some of those?

I can only get my hands on magnum and cascade. According to the sierra Nevada website magnum are used as finishing hops along with crystal and citra. You're probably right though to just use cascade for citrus flavour and aroma.

Back