Last Straw bottle filler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mumblingsages

Reaction score
So I'm having a difficult time getting this to work remotely close to what Northern Brewer shows in the video. However, after re-reading the manual for the ump-teenth time I noticed this under the the USE section, bullet 3, on the 2nd to last page.

"NOTE: The optimum CO2 pressure will vary with the carbonation level of your beer. Do not bleed the key using the valve when adjusting to filling pressure, as this will cause the beer to foam."

I've been force-carbonating my beer at pressures higher than the suggested 8-12psi. If I don't bleed the keg, how do I get it down to this pressure?

Yup, need to relieve pressure in the keg first. They say you can bottle at serving pressure, but that's BS. Even with the supplied 10 ft of 3/16 hose you'll get foam. I put the keg on the floor and bottle over my sink / countertop and usually 5 psi works - just enough to get the brew uphill into the bottle.

I had the problem with CO2 coming out of solution in the hose before it could even get to the filler, when I lowered the pressure on the keg. My solution was to double the liquid hose length to create more pressure drop in the hose, and leave my keg at serving pressure while bottling.

Appreciate the feedback, but that doesn't exactly answer the question. Do I bleed down to a 2-5psi range and then let it sit for an 20-30mins to stabilize? I don't see anyway around it. Seems like Northern Brewer is making the assumption that the only people trying to do this are serving from a kegerator....

Appreciate the feedback, but that doesn't exactly answer the question. Do I bleed down to a 2-5psi range and then let it sit for an 20-30mins to stabilize? I don't see anyway around it. Seems like Northern Brewer is making the assumption that the only people trying to do this are serving from a kegerator....

That's basically what I do - I try to bleed the pressure as gently(slowly) as possible then give it an hour or so to settle, then come back and bottle. Sometimes this works better than others, really depends on how highly carbed the beer is of course.

Back