Last minute brew questions..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have planned a brew session this evening and need a couple questions answered right away. I am doing an Austin Home Brew extract Kolsch and an extract Oberon Ale.

Q1. I have (2) 8 gallon brew pots and want to do a full boil. The kit directions call for 2 1/2 gallons brewed and then topped off to 5-1/4 gallons after cooldown. How much water should I use to do a full boil and still end up with 5-1/4 gallons assuming some evaporation.

Q2. I forgot to bring the Wyeast liquid yeast up to room temperature the night before and pulled it out of fridge at 4:00 today. Assuming it will be used around 8:00 tonight. I have it in a glass of 80 degree water to bring it up to temp faster. Any issue with my plans to speed up warming or using it so soon coming out of fridge.

Thanks!:mug:

I have planned a brew session this evening and need a couple questions answered right away. I am doing an Austin Home Brew extract Kolsch and an extract Oberon Ale.

Q1. I have (2) 8 gallon brew pots and want to do a full boil. The kit directions call for 2 1/2 gallons brewed and then topped off to 5-1/4 gallons after cooldown. How much water should I use to do a full boil and still end up with 5-1/4 gallons assuming some evaporation.

Q2. I forgot to bring the Wyeast liquid yeast up to room temperature the night before and pulled it out of fridge at 4:00 today. Assuming it will be used around 8:00 tonight. I have it in a glass of 80 degree water to bring it up to temp faster. Any issue with my plans to speed up warming or using it so soon coming out of fridge.

Thanks!:mug:

1. You can start with 5.75 gallons or so, adding more if it boils down faster. Can your stove boil almost 6 gallons, or do you have a burner outside? Don't forget to adjust your hopping, since your hops utilization will greatly increase. If you post your recipe, one of us can help you with it, or you can use some brewing software.

2. Don't know. I wouldn't do that. You'd be taking 40 degree yeast, and then sticking it in 80 degree water? Then pitching it into 70 degree-ish wort? Ouch. That sounds much worse then letting it gradually warm up at room temperature. That's a big temperature differential, and yeast are living organisms. I'd take it out of the fridge, and let it sit. It'd be better to let it warm up to 60 degrees on its own, and then pitch it into 65 degree wort.
(Actually, I would have taken it out of the fridge yesterday, and made a starter......but that's too late now).

I'd stick with the process that the kit was designed for. You'll get different hops utilization if you do a full boil. As for the yeast, smack it ASAP, especially if you're not making a starter.

I use AHS kits and decided to do full boils. I put about 6 gallons in my brewpot and follow the directions as usual. I think the beer is better. I sometimes need to add to five gallons after chilling, but it is rare.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up doing a partial boil per the instructions and then topping off after boil. OG was dead on. Also, progresses much faster when boiling 2.5 insted of 5.5.

Back