Last Minute Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subwyking

Reaction score
My co-brewer and I decided about 15 minutes ago that we are going to brew tommorrow. Gotta love the last minute decisions. Here is the recipe:

Oatmeal Cream Stout

9 lbs. British Pale Ale Malt
8 oz. Roasted Barley
6 oz. Chocolate Malt
8 oz. Rolled Oats
8 oz. Lactose (last 20)
1 tbsp Irish Moss (last 20)
1 oz Fuggles (last 20)
.5 oz Fuggles (dry hopped)

1084 Wyeast Irish Ale yeast

there it is. only the 3rd AG batch. any suggestions or comments? we've never used oats before. any thing we should keep in mind?

i will boil them if i should. i was under the impression there were some types of oats you boil, and some you dont. is there not enough oats and barley? we made this recipe on our own using other oatmeal stout recipes as a template.

Flaked oats do not have to be pre-cooked. Rolled oats should be cooked for 30 minutes before adding them to the mash.

As it is a stout you won't be concerned with haze problems, so yeah I'd go with more oats. That would be me. I use oats in most of my light color ales to get better head and mouthfeel. I boil my rolled oats for a half an hour but they being rolled don't know if they can be converted without boiling and so don't take any chances. A lot of good recipies can be seen here http://www.skotrat.com/skotrat/recipes/ale/stout/ . Good luck.

thinking along the lines of

30 min at 122
30 min at 150
mash out at 165-170 for 10 min
then sparge with 165ish for 45 min

do you think our temps/length are ok?

a little roasted barley goes a long way. not saying to cut it back, just keep that in mind.....

looks okay to me.....but i'd use 2-3 oz roasted barley....just me :^)

Back