last few gravity points taking forever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
I have a 1 gallon batch going, pitched ec1118 on Jan 25th. fermentation has been at 55-60 and things have slowed right down. I'm at 1.003-1.004 right now, and it's only dropped 2-3 points in the last 5 days.

I really wish it would hurry up and finish up so that I can prime and bottle and brew more. making more is the whole idea.

You could warm it up a bit. You have completed almost all of your fermentation so warming it up now isn't going to make tons of horrible flavor compounds like it would if you did it in the beginning. The warmer yeast will work more quickly, getting your beer finished faster. I do this on most of my beers. It gets the yeast to clean up after themselves better IMO.

You could warm it up a bit. You have completed almost all of your fermentation so warming it up now isn't going to make tons of horrible flavor compounds like it would if you did it in the beginning. The warmer yeast will work more quickly, getting your beer finished faster. I do this on most of my beers. It gets the yeast to clean up after themselves better IMO.

Thanks Setesh.

I ended up throwing the carboy in a cooler along with my bottles that are conditioning. There's a short strand of christmas lights in the cooler that brings the ambient up to ~74. That seems to have finished it off, as the last two readings were 1.000. Had to throw a blanket overtop as I couldn't close the lid with the airlock in there. There are no bubbles left ont he surface, and there are no bubbles left in the starsan in the airlock, and we all know how Satrsan likes to hold onto bubbles.

Didn't finish soon enough to bottle this past weekend, but this weekend, with some AJC to prime, I'll get it bottled.

Back