last few brews have tasted thin - question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
My last few brews have tasted a little thin. I have changed my procedures and this is possible why. I recently changed my brew kettle which has a little more deadspace. I have been boiling about 8.5 gallons for a 5.5 gallon batch. My boil time is an hour. Could this be part of my "thinness" issue? Also, I do BIAB.

Thanks!

don't think your kettle has anything to do it...sounds like your efficiency is way lower than expected...you taking gravity readings? numbers shall shed some light....

What's your final volume after cooling with an 8.5 boil volume for a 5.5 gallon batch?

Efficiency or mash temperatures could also come into play. Schumed is right, we need numbers!

Mash temperature and ingredients are what play a role in body in beer.

It sounds like a lower temperature mash and ingredients with more fermentables could be an issue here.

Here is an example of a recent brew. When I say thin, I mean watery - not exactly sure that is the same thing.

Yoopers Pale Ale
Starting Water: 8.5 gallons in boil kettle
OG: 1.053 @ 5.1 gallons in fermenter - with about a half gallon left in bk
FG: 1.014 @ 4.75 gallons to keg

Here is an example of a recent brew. When I say thin, I mean watery - not exactly sure that is the same thing.

Yoopers Pale Ale
Starting Water: 8.5 gallons in boil kettle
OG: 1.053 @ 5.1 gallons in fermenter - with about a half gallon left in bk
FG: 1.014 @ 4.75 gallons to keg

That's not a "thin" recipe. If you're getting a lack of body, or a watery beer, I suspect that the mash temps are dropping or the thermometer is out of calibration. If your technique is sound, the beer should finish with a medium body and mouthfeel. I wonder about the mash temperatures and holding the temperature and if there is a mashout or a quick rise to boiling temperatures. If not, the enzymes could get working on the brew and the result could be a thinner beer.

That's not a "thin" recipe. If you're getting a lack of body, or a watery beer, I suspect that the mash temps are dropping or the thermometer is out of calibration. If your technique is sound, the beer should finish with a medium body and mouthfeel. I wonder about the mash temperatures and holding the temperature and if there is a mashout or a quick rise to boiling temperatures. If not, the enzymes could get working on the brew and the result could be a thinner beer.

I have been having issue with the mash temp falling throughout the hour.

Perhaps that is part of the issue....

The recipe is exactly the one Yooper put on the recipe page.

I have been having issue with the mash temp falling throughout the hour.

Perhaps that is part of the issue....

The recipe is exactly the one Yooper put on the recipe page.

It does sound like a mash temp issue. Could you preheat the MLT better, and/or insulate it? That would hold the temperature better.

If many of your beers are coming out too thin, you could double check the accuracy of your thermometer as well.

Back