Last bottle filled..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
Is the last bottle that gets filled during bottling likely getting oxygen in it since the dip tube kinda bubbles as it fills? I'm thinking on my next bottling day, I'll keep the last bottle seperated to taste it against others...

If you have the standard bottling bucket, I would tip the bucket forward for those last couple of bottles so that something like that doesn't happen.

When I use my bottling bucket, I do notice that the last bottle gets a little more sediment than the others, so I usually quarantine that one for my consumption only. I mark it with a sharpie.

If you have the standard bottling bucket, I would tip the bucket forward for those last couple of bottles so that something like that doesn't happen.

The purpose of the bottling bucket diptube is so you don't have to tip your bucket, and you get all but the tiniest amount of beer out. I get 54 beers with mine.

Nukinfuts is right, you really shouldn't be getting much bubbling from the tube. The tube should nearly touch the bottom of the bucket except for the tiniest of gap. So it pretty much should be submerged even in the little bit of beer left.

But honestly I've bottles thousands of gallons of beer and never noticed what happened to the last beer.

The thing about oxidizing beer, is MOST of the time, it's more a long term storage issue, and more than likely we've all long finished a particular batch of beer before that bottle would have showed any signs of it.

I wouldn't worry about it.

And if you are really worried about it, pour in some water with a touch of food coloring, just enough to cover the bottom of the bucket. Modify the pickup until it is submerged in that tiny bit of fluid, and you are good to go. The food coloring helps you see the tube vs the fluid.

To be honest, my dip tupe is homemade and slightly crude.. It does touch the very bottom of the bucket and it only bubbles when it gets to the very last little bit of liquid. Typically not even enough to actually fill a bottle. Last night I barely squeezed out enough for a 12oz at the end, and it started bubbling about the last 1/3 of the bottle.. I guess I need to look into doing a better job of making a dip tube. I got the idea from you Revvy from one of your threads (I think it was your bottling thread), but I only had make-shift parts around the house. I meant to update it someday, but I haven't.. It works great untill I get to that last bottle!

It actually touches the bottom of the bucket? I bet that is the issue right there. Trim the littlest bit off of it and see if that solves the problem. I bet you having an issue with smooth flow, causing turbulence and sucking in air.

It actually touches the bottom of the bucket? I bet that is the issue right there. Trim the littlest bit off of it and see if that solves the problem. I bet you having an issue with smooth flow, causing turbulence and sucking in air.

It touches, but it has a tiny notch that I made. I think I'll just make a new one and see how it does. I actually want to make something with a larger diameter, because it's a bit skinny in diameter and has a slow flow.. I'd like to increase the flow by making something a bit larger.

Actually, I can raise it just a hair. I'll try that first...

when you raise it, remove the notch if it is smaller than the diameter of the hose. I think the last bit is hitting a choke point and causing the air.

I've slightly bubble one of the last bottles on nearly every batch. (11 so far). They just got mixed in with the rest. I have never been able to tell which ones.

when you raise it, remove the notch if it is smaller than the diameter of the hose. I think the last bit is hitting a choke point and causing the air.

I'll do that!

I've slightly bubble one of the last bottles on nearly every batch. (11 so far). They just got mixed in with the rest. I have never been able to tell which ones.

Me too (5 batches).. I really don't think it's an issue. It's just one of those things that occured to me. It actually usually only happens to the last 2 or 3 oz of beer. For that matter, I usually don't even get enough in the last bottle to even bother capping it, and that's when it happens. I'm talking the last little remnants of liquid in the bucket..

When I use my bottling bucket, I do notice that the last bottle gets a little more sediment than the others, so I usually quarantine that one for my consumption only. I mark it with a sharpie.

BrewThruYou I think you're using a bottling bucket without a dip tube, and I don't usually get any sediment in my bucket. Clear to the last drop!

BrewThruYou I think you're using a bottling bucket without a dip tube, and I don't usually get any sediment in my bucket. Clear to the last drop!

Actually, I don't use a bottling bucket anymore...I keg. But when I did use one, I did not use a dip tube...a rolled up towel under the back of the bucket worked for me to tilt it forward. And I wasn't talking about a lot of sediment...just a little bit on the bottom after bottling. A dip tube probably wouldn't siphon low enough to grab that little bit of sediment anyway.

Actually, I don't use a bottling bucket anymore...I keg. But when I did use one, I did not use a dip tube...a rolled up towel under the back of the bucket worked for me to tilt it forward. And I wasn't talking about a lot of sediment...just a little bit on the bottom after bottling. A dip tube probably wouldn't siphon low enough to grab that little bit of sediment anyway.

I'm looking forward to the day I start kegging. Hopefully before the world ends in December I can get the equipment to do it! :eek:

my woman believes in the zombie apocolypse big time, so the world ending in december is something I have latched on to as an excuse to brew my ass off. I'm preparing.

my woman believes in the zombie apocolypse big time, so the world ending in december is something I have latched on to as an excuse to brew my ass off. I'm preparing.

haha, it's my escuse too.. well that and the fact my house gets insanely hot in summer and temp control will be real hard for me since I just use swamp coolers. I have 180 12oz bottles full and another 15 gallons fermenting. Plus two more 5 gallon batches in the works. Hopefully by the time summer rolls around I'll be well stocked for the end of the world as we know it! :tank:

OK... I bottled my Dunkelweizen today. I lifted the dip tube off of the bottom of the bucket by about 1/32 in. and no bubbling on the last bottle. It was also filling bottles at a much faster pace. Seems like such a simple solution.. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself.. Thanks all!

Because of the notch I put on the tip it left a little too much beer in the bucket, so I want to make one without the notch.. I think it will work even more efficiently than the current one. I'll save the current one as a back-up..

Back