Largest Crown Cap Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I want to bottle in the largest crown-cap bottles I can find (up to 2 liters); sort of like a mini cask. I found 2-liter growlers at northernbrewer, but the crown caps seem more durable than the swingtops, and less likely to blister my thumbs. Anyone know where I can find crown cap bottles larger than 22 oz?

The 750ml bottles that Boulevard's Smokestack Series come in would be 25.36 oz and are amber glass. Even though they are sold corked they do take a 29mm crown. Also, I am not aware of a retailer stocking them at this time but I do have a question out to a contact at Boulevard to find out their source. I can think of a lot worse things than drinking a bunch of 6th glass quad to get the bottles.

Thanks for the link.

I also wonder if I could cap the 1.5 L Magnum champagne bottles. Anyone Know?

You can't put a crown cap on a regular champagne bottle. The closest to an ideal bottle I've found in this category (and it's only 750 ml, which isn't all that much bigger than the 22 oz bombers) is the cider bottle put out by Martinelli's:

http://www.martinellis.com/

Mine are the sparkling (non-alcoholic) cider bottles, conveyed to me by teetotalling relatives, who drink it on special occasions. Your bench capper may or may not go high enough for these.....mine barely did, almost had to break out the wing capper.

I have seen other 750 ml bottles that take crown caps, but they're pretty rare. I've seen Italian Prosecco ("champagne" is a protected term now, so producers can't really use it unless it's actually from the Champagne of France, hence the name) in crown cap bottles.

Back