Larger Kombucha production

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dude1

Reaction score
I made several ~5 Gal (20L) kombucha batches without any problem based on small scobys I was given, which now have grown to the entire surface of a 5 Gal bucket as you can see on the picture.
I renew the tea once a week or so.

I've been asked by a local bar to produce larger amounts for next summer, about 10 gallons a week (40L) starting in April, maybe more depending on demand.

I'm wondering what's the best approach from what I have now.

- Should I start multiple large vessels during the winter and grow large scobys in there?
- Is there a risk that all these scobies will get old and/or die simultaneously, preferably right in the middle of peak season?
- Will I have to use an air con where it will be produced if temperatures reach 85-90F (30-35°C)?

Any hint is more than welcome.

Thanks

Attachments

• scoby.jpg
    scoby.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I don't know anything about kombucha, but if you are going from home-made to commercial production (even small scale) there are some things to consider to keep yourself out of trouble.
If you are producing food or beverages that are going to be sold, you need to have a commercial type kitchen, a heath inspection and a food handler's certification. Laws vary from state to state, and if you are outside the US there may or may not be any regulations.
If your local bar serves food, you can get around the regulations by making the kombucha on their premises.
You can't believe all the BS you read on the internet, but there is some information that indicates that consuming kombucha may be risky for some people. If a patron perceives they suffered any illness after drinking your product, they'll run to a lawyer and try to get something.
If you are not willing to go to an attorney and start a LLC and then buy liability insurance, you are probably better off skipping the 10 gallons a week commercial venture.

Last edited:
Back