Larger bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdburnett

Reaction score
Added priming sugar to bottling bucket, rack holiday ale. Bottled 45 bottles and the n rack the rest into two separate sanitized tequila bottles cuz I was out of beer bottles. Not sure what size they are. Probably like a crown royal bottle. Is there any issue as far as having a huge bottle bomb. Anyone see an issue with doing this?

Yeah the general rule is if they weren't designed to hold carbonated stuff, you probably shouldn't carbonate in them.

I don't think there would be a problem but you might get two big bombs out of it.

I would be a little worried about them holding the pressure. Just put somewhere safe so the cause a mess or hurt someone if they blow

I would think the glass would be strong enough, but have doubts about the caps. Either way I would keep them in a box or bucket, probably wrapped in a towel to help contain potential shrapnel if the bottle shatters and foam if the lid fails.

And that is the question that interests me......will the withstand the pressure?

:cross:

no, get it out of there into something else IMMEDIATELY. I'm a noob and ran out of bottles. I used a knob creek bottle i had kicking around with the cork top. the next day the top blew off! fortunately it was underneath my desk so it didn't cause any harm.

Now obviously if your tequila is cheap and has a screwtop, you should be fine.

btw guys, the glass that liquor bottles are made out of is obviously WAY thicker and stronger than a beer bottle, it's just a pressure issue. If you have some type of metal tie like you see on champagne bottles to hold the cork in place, then it would probably work fine.

When I was making wine,I used the tipical screw cap bottles. Used the same bottles when I made my own sparkling wine. Out of all the batches of it I made,only 1 bottle burst,& that was around the base of the neck. So these may well work. Personally I'd make sure I had enough pop top beer bottles next time.

They are plastic screw tops. I will put em in a bucket with the lid on. If they blow then.... Lesson learned.

Back