Large Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryceL

Reaction score
Just a question on a large starter. I have been thinking about brewing a 5 gallon batch of an Octoberfest (OG 1.067) with WLP820. Being my first lager and first time trying a yeast starter, I could use a few pointers. According to Mr Malty, I will need 5.84 quarts. I do not have a stir plate. I was thinking of getting a small carboy to do the entire starter in, then cold crash it and decant the liquid off. My question is, can I just do the entire starter at once rather than stepping up? Also is there a certain ratio of DME to water for a given size batch of starter? Any tips for a first-timer are welcome. Thanks!

This section of Mr. Malty's (Jamil Zainasheff's) page, will answer your questions. In short:
*No, you can't do the entire starter at once. You need to step up.
*If you prepare your starter wort using 1 gram of DME for every 10ml of water, you should wind up close to 1.040 which is where you want to be.

Brian

Is there anything wrong with, or any disadvantage to making two separate 2L starters with 1 vile in each as opposed to making one starter and stepping up to 4 or 5 liters? I figure this way I can use two 1 gallon glass growlers that I already have instead of buying one large container.

Back