Large drip tray for indoor brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrewB

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a solution to the indoor brewery problem of potential spills. Even though I own the house, I don't want to install a permanent floor drain. Right now, I constantly move 3 of those boot trays around under my brew stand and dump them out as needed.

Does anyone know of a larger industrial application that might have a rubber/plastic drip tray that would be 6x6 ft (or larger) that I could leave in place to protect the floor and mop as needed?

I'm thinking a rubber/plastic tray at least 6' x 6' with sides at least 3" high....

Hmm. Solid effort.

I guess I was visualizing something more like molded plastic/rubber. The biggest problem is the size. 4x4' is just big enough to be a real tripping hazard in the brew space..

Oops, never mind. I didn't see that you were looking to get rid of your smaller trays and wanted a big one.

Easiest solution is to fabricate a pan from plywood that is your 6x6 size and install a riser board around the edge. Next step is to line the pan and riser with plastic wrap. With that you are good to go.

(Just saying.)

1 - Kiddie Pool - use a sharp knife to cut it down so it'll hold liquid but isn't a big trip hazard.

2 - If you have a solid floor, you can get outdoor pond liner, which is a very heavy mil plastic, used for building ponds in dug out holes. Build a frame of 2x4s around your brewery, don't bother with a floor / bottom. Lay the plastic in it, throw a few staples in around the perimeter to hold it, and tape over them wtih the special tape they sell for this material. Now you can build your setup any size you want.

PVC pipe frame with a tarp wrapped over the edges. Lighter than the 2x4s

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was going to say a liner for the back of an SUV but the pond liner sounds great.
Post picts once you get it done please.

They make drain pans for furnaces (when installed on their side in attics) , you could give that a shot.

Not as big as the OP was looking for but a washing machine drip tray works very nicely. I have one about 30x36, and pretty cheap.

Not a bad idea for drips but I want something I can stand in while I'm brewing and then swiffermop afterwards.
I will post pictures once I'm all set in the new house, around mid Jul.

Google Park Smart Clean garage car mats. Vinyl with a 1" deep lip. They make one for motorcycles for $99 that is 73x42. You can get them as big as you want.

Home Depot sells pvc liners, by the linear foot, for showers. Tile guys use them. Pretty thick stuff. You glue the corners and seams with pvc glue. May be easier to find then the equivalent pond liner material.

Well, I thought I should post an update. In the end, I went with a heavy duty tarp, which I screwed to some 2x4's. As you can see in the picture, it covers the end wall and wraps forward along the left/right walls a couple of feet. The tarp goes down the wall and UNDER my workbench (that was a challenge), where it comes forward about another 6' or so. I folded the sides/front so the lower walls are also protected. Though an in-floor drain would have been best, this will be fine for catching some minor spills/dripage during the brewing process.

img_20141014_064423_175-63992.jpg

Back