Large diameter grain mill RPM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyf

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm hoping this is in the right section, if not, I apologize and administrators can feel free to redirect me.

I have a grain mill with 6-inch diameter rollers. What linear speed should the rollers be running at? Right now it is set to 100 RPM, which is 31 inches/second linear speed. I think this is OK - the crush *looks* good - but I'd rather have corroboration from the forum before sticking my sparge.

Thanks so much,
Tony

Sounds about right to me. The reason for low rpm is to not throw the crushed powder produced all over the place. You want the grain fully open so hot water can get easily into it.

Ok, great! I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. Thanks so much folks. :)

You can run it at whatever speed you like as long as your motor has enough power and it's not throwing the grain all around the room. Where did you get a mill with 6" rollers?

Tom

Ok, that's good to hear. I was worried about the faster linear speed maybe shearing the husks a bit more. But they're smooth rollers, so that's less of a concern, I guess.

I was able to get the rollers because my family owns an engineering company that manufactures a bunch of stainless steel stuff. Luckily they have some 6" pipes lying around. So, I can get something thrown together for a lot cheaper than would ordinarily be available.

Haha, just in cincy, Ohia friend - where I'm a couple Commodore Perries deep and enjoying the evening!

Back