large bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulsoren

Reaction score
Where to get large bottles for homebrewing?
22 oz is too big for one glass, too small for 2 glasses.
I have some 32 oz bottles someone gave me that are almost perfect, about 2 1/2 glasses per bottle.
I'd like to get some larger like 40oz,or more 32 oz bottles.
What kind of beer comes in large crown-cap bottles, or is everything made with a twist-off these days?

Old_english_800_picture.jpg

Sorry....It's a twist off.

Get some pint glasses. A 22 oz is almost perfect for a pint glass. I usually pour my glass and have a bit left over because a pint is 20 oz a bottle is 22 and the head of the beer takes up room. After my pour I usually just take a few swigs from the bottle and dump the rest. Remember you need to leave a bit in the bottle anyways to avoid getting yeast sediment in.

There are several online retailers that you can order 12, 16, 22 and 32 ounce bottles from. I've never seen anything larger.

I always tried to pair my beer bottles with glasses that were slightly larger in volume, 12oz bottle with 16oz glass, 16oz. bottle with 23oz glass, etc. Two reasons for this. One, I could empty the bottle in one pour so I didn't disturb the sediment as much. Two, I could fill the glass and put a nice head on it without overflowing.

I once bought a "Big Ass Beer". It was wheat beer in a 32oz swing-top bottle. Worst beer I've ever tasted. Cool bottle. Not worth it.

Sierra Nevada has their Pale Ale and Southern Hemisphere Harvest Ale in really cool short squatty 24 oz bottles that fit nicely on the fridge shelf. Great beer and awesome bottle.

When I pour a pint it is usually a little ways below the rim. Thus the 22 ouncer has some waste. I really prefer to sit with a few friends and fill everyone's glass at once, but do not want to deal with kegging quite yet.

I have a few of the Sierra bottles, I didn't realize they were 24 oz but I do favor those. The 32 oz bottles I have look like the Red Stripes but larger.

If I could get that 40 without a twist-off it would make my day! 40 of mead anyone?

Grolsch has done a 1.5L (magnum) swing-top. It's green glass, but I still had to get a couple just for the ridiculosity of the thing. I think that's a fall/winter thing only though. It came in a box that converted into an ice bucket. And it's a lot of Grolsch for one sitting.

Tecate makes 32 oz with crown (non-twist) tops. EdWort turned me onto these. Available in cheap liquor stores everywhere.

Back