Large batch size questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last batch (24 gals), I just used 4 packets of Nottingham. Took off fine!

If i were using liquid yeast vials, or yeast I had washed / stored I would make a multiple-step starter, to ramp up the yeast to a pitchable rate.

I do 32 gallon batches and usually just make a big starter out of just one vial or packet of yeast the day before i brew.

Fermentation usually takes off like a rocket too.

I do 32 gallon batches and usually just make a big starter out of just one vial or packet of yeast the day before i brew.

Fermentation usually takes off like a rocket too.

So how big of a starter are you making?

Based upon the Mr. Malty pitching rate calculator,
a 32g batch of 1.048 ale would need to have two white labs vials grown up until
they were a 15 liter starter if done on a stir plate :eek:

for that, i need to build a stir plate that can stir a 5 gallon carboy...
yeesh

My starter is just one gallon, but I have never had a fermentation that didnt take off in a few hours.

most of my beers are ales with a gravity of 1.044 - 1.052

Just because fermentation takes off, it doesn't mean you pitched the proper amount of yeast. Jamil's web site is saying that you need a 15 L starter in order to get the proper amount of yeast to ferment the beer without stressing the yeast.

As he says over and over, yes underpitching works, but you can make better beer by pitching the proper amount of yeast.

When making a 32 gallon batch I am assuming you ferment in a conical of some kind? My LHBS has real big buckets for fermenting wine, I have though of doing ale's in the big bucket but I'm not sure if I could lift it for racking etc.

Linc

for equipment I use a 30 gallon HLT, 30 gallon MLT, and a 55 gallon boil kettle.

for fermentation i have been using a blichmann 42 gallon conical, but i plan on doing some pressurized fermentation coming up, so i will see where i go from there.

a blichmann 42g...
dude... i wish i had your budget.
that sucker is $1300 before the shipping
and your kettles... nice

i am looking at going with a 35g plastic conical, $60 before shipping and much lighter to ship

i currently have (5) 1/2 barrel kegs that i can convert to boil kettles, (1) 1/6th barrel keg that i am thinking of using for a heat exchanger, (3) 10 g rubbermaid coolers to use as mash tuns, and (1) 5 g rubbermaid for the same reason...

i am thinking of building an odd little modular system, where i can do everything from a 5g one carboy batch of session beer, clear up to huge batches of high gravity beers, all depending on how many of the pieces that i decide to use that day.

some day i will sell off all of those and get better, larger toys like you have, but for now, i was able to get all of what i have either very cheap, or in some cases free, and it will also give me more flexibility, and i like that idea.

31g batches of house favorites,
5g batches of test recipes,
and almost anything else i want to do in between.

Back